Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009

~ October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month ~

Since October is breast cancer awareness month, I thought I would share my Grandma's story. My sweet Grandma was 46 yrs old when she found out she had breast cancer. She had to have a double mastectomy and she lived to be 95. When she did pass away in 1999, she had a stroke. She beat the odds and I always thought as growing up that was so neat.
Also in 2002 my Mom was 67 yrs old and had to have a double mastectomy. She is doing well so far through all the chemo.She has been cancer free for 7 years Praise God !!! Every year my Mom walks in the Relay for Life. I know the road ahead for me and my sister. I check myself daily and already get yearly mammograms so far. I wonder if someday it will happen to me but I trust the Lord and if it does he will see me through just like my Mom and Grandma.

To everyone I would like to say make sure you get yourself checked out, it's so important It only takes a minute to check. 5 minutes a week gains a lifetime with your loved ones.

4 comments :

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I imagine it's hard when family members have had it and you know that you could too! I will pray that you, your sister and all the girls is the family will not get it. How wonderful that your grandmother survived and your mother too. That is really great.

Kelci said...

What an awesome tribute to your mom & grandmother. I have a good friend that has just started her battle with breast cancer and she's only 36. I also have another very good friend that just lost her mother due to breast cancer at the age of 61. It's all around me. I've walked in the Race For The Cure since 1993. I have all of this surrounding me, yet I still can't remember to check myself! What's wrong with me? That's just crazy!!
I will keep you all in my prayers! Thanks for the award, I'm still not sure how all that works, but I'll get there! ;)
Hugs,
Kelci

Holly said...

I think it's great you do the Relay for Life. Both your grandma and mom beat cancer and that is great!

The Runge Family said...

What great stories! my mom is a survivor 3 years strong! We are walking next year in the Susan G. Kohlman 3-Day walk in D.C.! I can't wait!

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studio| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studio