Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day



Happy Memorial Day !!!!

Today I'm remembering all the men and women who have served or serving our country. Like the song says I'm Proud To Be An American. I learned a long time ago when I was just a child the true meaning of Memorial Day. My Mom's mother's brother which would be my great Uncle was killed in the line of duty. I know he was young and never was married or had children.

I also remember my Grandpa my Dad's father had served in World War I. I remember going to the parades in Millersburg and watching as there was only two or three left in Holmes Co that had served in that war and they were given a special honor. They got to ride in the parade and always were spoke of highly. I was always excited cause that not only was my Grandpa but he was very special to me and the stories he told me about the war, I always tresured.

Then of course my Dad that served in World War II. I was proud of him. I can remember always going to the cemetary and planting pretty flowers. I always planted the colors Red, White and Blue as close as I could find. I remember one year going to the cemetary on the Thursday before Memorial Day and my Dad's grave didn't have a flag. I called the man in charge of it and he said it prolly just got missed but he seen it was taken care of. So from then I always checked and I remember the day of my Dad's service the honor I felt the day those men folded the flag and then gave it to my Mom.

My Mom's only brother was also in the service. So many of our family and friends have been there. My hubby Paul served four years in the Army when he ws first out of High School.

So today I want to remember the real reason for the day and with all the picnics and BBQ's , time with Families and all the fun of maybe watching a parade. Memorial Day is very special for me. Even though with the move it breaks my heart that I can't go and plant flowers or check on my Dad's flag but I never forget everytime I see a flag flying just what it stands for and I'm proud to be an American.


God Bless

5 comments :

trennia said...

(((HUGS)))
I am too, proud to be an American!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm proud to be an american too.
All the families of fallen service men are in my prayers. I hate war.

Holly said...

Happy Memorial Day to you!

betty said...

you have a lot of family members that served in our military, Caroline. Thanking God for each and every one of them and their service to protect our freedom, especially your great uncle who gave his life in line of duty. I'm always so thankful there are people willing to serve to protect our freedom

betty

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

your post rocks...
stay cool,
Happy Wednesday!

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studio| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studio